Monday, January 11, 2010

Rise and Whine!

There is a percentage of the population that hates me and people like me.  Not because of how we look or how we dress.  Not because of how we think or what we say.  But we carry with us a blemish so despised by some that if looks could kill, me and my ilk would be six feet under.  And it is simply because we are...

Morning People!!!!

I am a out of bed bounder, a singin' in the shower while brushin' my teeth kinda gal.  Always have been: an early memory is me sitting in our living room as a child, the whole house still asleep, the sun rising over the rooftops and splashing onto the floor while I fiddled with the stereo to "make it go" - which I am sure were the words my siblings uttered to my parents while pointing at me.  "For heaven's sake", I thought. "It's 5:30 in the morning, half the day is already gone!!  What's the matter with these people? Slackers."

Yup, it was like that all through school, into adulthood, and to this day.  Regardless of how late I stay up, my eyelids will flicker with the sun.  I would make the lousiest vampire ever.

And you know what makes morning extra-extra special?  BREAKFAST!!

I am in love with breakfast.  If breakfast were a man, I would do whatever he wanted and would pay for any accessories needed with my own money (are you following me with this? I don't need a laser pointer, do I?  Good.).  Breakfast is eggs and toast, ham and croissants, fruit and cheese, not all at the same time but why not?  Nobody else is awake, says the morning person.  I'm alone!  Mwah-ha-ha-ha!

I am a firm believer that your breakfast fires you up for the day: no fuel, no fire.  And never more so than when you are trying to lose weight.  You're already cutting and counting calories, why deprive yourself of an entire meal?  I don't trust people that skip breakfast, anyway.  They are the ones most likely to mooch snacks from you during the day or may steal your sandwich from the office fridge. Some folks don't like a lot of food in the morning - that's just fine, but baby get a little somethin' in ya or you will be no fun for the rest of the folks you have to deal with.  I'm getting used to yogourt, fruit and green tea to start the day.  It's fresh, wakes my mouth up and it's good for your insides as your stomach gets busy with digesting.

That's work week breakfast.  Weekend breakfast is a totally different kettle of fish, or a different bagel of lox. Which, by the way, is a perfect weekend breakfast - bagel, lox, onion, capers, cream cheese, coffee and you are ready to go-go-go for hours!  If a whole bagel is too much, split it with your sweet baboo (this may lead to all sorts of things that require go-go-go. I don't need the pointer, do I?).  Energy, people. Food groups, my friends. You gotta mix 'em up and have a bit of everything. Real babes eat all of 'em 'cuz they need the juice to move their bodies about and keep the heart pumping.  And real babes eat real food.

Blobs eat crap. They buy food-like substances in boxes, bags or cans large enough to contain all the ingredients. If an ingredient sounds like the final word at a spelling bee and the astonishing 8 year old, who spelled a 14 letter word because he recalled the Estonian root, can't spell it, don't eat it.  Blobs do their grocery shopping at convenience stores.  Babes lounge in the produce section.  Wonder Bread is manna to the blob.  A babe will eat, sparingly, of the seed-packed loaf she bought at a bakery.  And she may have it with real cheese, not "an edible oil product" which to my mind is probably Vaseline with food colouring added (now in Jack o' Lantern orange!), hardened into a square and then wrapped in plastic.  Why wrap?? It's not like this crap can go bad.  It's not food!!

I like having breakfast at farmers' markets in the morning.  I go to one that has wonderful fair trade coffee brewing, roasted on the spot - I saunter around and pick up a roll or a muffin and it smells soooo good and warm (no, "warm" isn't a smell, it's the feeling you get when you get a snootfull of homey yum).  Sellers and buyers are all a bit sleepy or tousle-headed, but there is energy both in the air and waiting in baskets to be taken home. There's usually a lot of munchkins, wee kiddies, running around being nuisances and adorable.  These are morning kids. I like them. They are fascinated by the food they see at the market because it's the real thing. They look at some of it quizzically-why is it dirty and lumpy and that strange colour? I've seen kids play with the stuff, having never seen a purple carrot for instance - but it appeals to their Crayola coloured imaginations.  I like that too.  If you can, go to a market for breakfast, that's how to start the day right.

Now mornings for me also mean a little stretchy yoga-ness and work-outy stuff.  I must be honest with you, I haven't arrived at the "Oh I just LOOOOOVE working out when I wake up!"  And frankly it's cutting into my breakfast time.  I could graze over breakfast for a good hour before even thinking of work.  Now, it's down to only 1/2 an hour.  T'isn't fair, but I will share my breakfast time with workout time.

Just not on weekends...

LiliLaLarge

No comments:

Post a Comment