Sunday, January 24, 2010

Your cheatin' carb...

My bum hurts.  Metaphorically speaking.

I fell off the carb wagon this weekend, but my Sealy-Postupedic of a butt cushioned the fall. Hooray. Let's look at the sirens that lured me with their evil wares:

When: Friday morning
What: raspberry scone
Where: cafe
Why: It's the beginnning of my long weekend!
Was it the right thing to do: I was celebrating the thought of doing as I pleased on a well deserved break. 
Was it worth it:  Yes.

When: Friday mid-afternoon
What: slice of pizza
Where: cinema
Why: the scone didn't really have anything in it to keep me going so I was famished.  Figured a slice had all the major food groups included so it would fill me up.
Was it the right thing to do: Within ten minutes of injesting it, I felt as though I was going to hurl. Too much salt in the processed cheese/meat-like products, too much sugar in the gummy dough. Pizza, why have you forsaken me??
Was it worth it: GAK! No.

When: Saturday morning
What: peameal bacon sandwich
Where: market
Why: after the pizza, I decided not to eat for the rest of the day (with brains like this, who needs looks?), so woke up about to chew my own arm. The pull of the piggy was too much for me, so I succumbed. 
Was it the right thing to do: what the hell, has someone dumped a bag of salt on the city of Toronto??  Didn't even bother with the roll it came in. I'd only be heartbroken.
Was it worth it: Terribly disappointed. 'Twas not the bacon of my youth.

When: Sunday morning
What: apple turnover
Where: cafe
Why: Sunday is only every 7 days...
Was it the right thing to do: I felt horrible and defeated by my lapses and tossed in the towel for the weekend. Made me ill enough to be better tomorrow, however.
Was it worth it: as my mood has fluctuated with the spikes of sugar and the accompanying low, I've learned a valuable lesson -

Eating the right stuff makes me, and sustains, a  happier individdle.

It's science and chemicals, children.  The sugary numminess appeases the craving, only to leave you wanting more shortly thereafter. And when you don't get it, your mood shifts. And swings. The longing for more sugar is akin to Stoker's novel - your blood craves the sugar. And the only way to get back to that wonderful place where all is tickety-boo is to have more. And you do. A vicious cycle with one gear and no brakes. 

I've been healthy and balanced all month long, I eat a couple of seemingly innocent bits that everyone else eats, fercrissakes, and I pay for it by crashing quite hard. Ick. Poo. Lesson learned.

So back to the market I went and stocked up on fruit.  The fruit that is going into my yogourt tomorrow morning.  The bursting bluberries and succulent strawberries will outlast anything a danish can do.  My furry kiwi friends will take the afternoon shift. 

And we begin again...

LiliLaLarge

PS-My backside also hurts because the walking regime has begun.  There is a hill on my street that will be my nemesis for the coming months. Sir Edmund Hillary had a Sherpa.  I have an Ipod.

No comments:

Post a Comment