Saturday, February 13, 2010

Public Shaming

Wow.  I have totally gotten this wrong. 

I'm reading the paper yesterday, and there was an article about the popularity of blogs (yay!) and how blogs relating to weight loss and then maintenance rank the highest in readership (double yay!).  Then this article asserts that the writers hope the humiliation of admitting to a weight problem will keep them motivated to follow through with their dieting.  That the shame will light the fire under their rapidly expanding asses and act as a driving force toward better health. 

Um...wtf?

I wasn't aware that I was supposed to be ashamed of being a blob. Was I supposed to feel humiliated everytime I went in public, forcing people to have to look at me?  Or, are all of you reading this tsk-tsk-ing me in disappointed or are any of you offended by what I write?  Did you all recoil in horror when I revealed my measurements?  Holy crap, am I supposed to put a paper bag over my head? 

Are. You. Kidding. Me.

Man, do I feel sorry for the mo'fo's that feel that way.  Really.  They are making it sound as though admitting to a weight problem is equal to admitting to torturing children or stealing from seniors.  Jeez, they are practically demonizing themselves, and perceiving their readership not so much as supporters and friends but as judges and as a "jury of their sneers". 

Humiliation?  Shame?  How much do these poor souls dislike themselves? I've made it a point to avoid punishing myself over dietary missteps, and these cats are practically donning hair shirts and volunteering to be put in the stocks. "Here, dear reader, have this rotten tomato and please aim it at my head.  Thank you so very much." 

Well, fuck that, because at no point have I ever felt anything but warm fuzzies from my readers.  Even peeps that just stop by to leave comments are nothing but helpful and lovely.  And as for me feeling humiliated or ashamed of myself - sorry, but I'm too much of a babe for that nonsense.  I've heard and read too many things that sound derogatory towards folks of a certain size and the nay sayers can pucker up and lay a wet one on my generous handful of tooshie.

Now that I've vented my spleen, I do want to iterate how disturbed I was by the article.  Is that what we've come to, marginalizing the blobs amongst us to a point where they feel they must do public penance?  Weight gain happens for a host of reasons - genetics, emotional trials, etc.  There is a good chance that our overweight bros and sistahs feel kinda bad to begin with so is it really necessary to make them feel worse? Well something went kablooie 'cuz there are bloggers out there who are dieting as a punishment because somewhere down the line, being overweight became akin to a criminal act. Fat = bad person.  I don't understand this.  Buddah help me if I ever do.

I blog because it makes me feel better and, due to my overwhelming averageness, I figure a lot of folks can relate and I make them feel better as well.  I try to remain postive even when I don't feel too positive at all.  Hell, I'll even admit to feeling defeated at times.  Because that is human.  Last I checked, I am one.  I'm not here to be tarred and feathered, I'm not here surfing on a wave of "Oh woe is me"-ism.  I don't want you to feel smug or self-satisfied because you are a size 5 and I am not.  Just like I don't want me to start hating myself for not being able to wear a pencil skirt.  I invited you here not just for me, but for us.

There are a million different beliefs when it comes to the afterlife.  But there is only one logical conclusion about the present life: we are here now and this is what it is like.  We are sharing this existence right at this moment.  Your eyes skimming over these words brings you along on my journey right now. This makes me feel good.  And I also feel like I'm doing something good.

And I'm not ashamed to admit it.

LiliLaLarge

No comments:

Post a Comment