Wednesday, December 30, 2009

It's all about me...

And by extension, about you too...

Here's the dealio: I'm an average girl - 44 years old (on paper.  I'm convinced I'm actually 25), I have average brown hair and average brown eyes, a stable family, wonderful friends, a job I find fulfilling....all in all, I'm having a fairly good time on the planet.  Nothing spectacular, but a pleasant ride.  Soooo, wherein lies the angst that necessitated this blog?

Have you seen the size of my ass??? Who ordered these thighs??? And I'm pretty sure I had a neck when I went to bed....

In my 20's and 30's (oh, I guess I am 44 if I had a 30's.  Poo...), I was an actor which means I was also a waitress waiting for my big break.  It took a lot of running around to merely wait, but it kept the pounds off.  Now don't get me wrong, I was never a sylph, neither a waif nor a wafer.  My 5'6" frame was usually encased in 130-140 lbs of me.  But I was curvy and "squishy" as an appreciative male friend of mine once opined.  And damn sexy.

Then I walked into an office job.  And sat down.  And I've remained seated lo these 2 years.  In that time, the curves have given way to simple globe-iness and squishy? "You're so cuddly" has turned into "Um...ew."  I haven't stepped on a scale, but I'm guessing I'm 210-ish.  The term "anti-sexy" springs to mind.

Being an average gal, my eating is not governed by the common ailments tv would have us subscribe to.  I do not eat when I'm bored, I'm not filling a hole inside me (I really feel I should say something about my dating life here, but that can wait...), I don't mistake food for affection.  Ever try to French kiss a casserole? Very unsatisfying...I don't eat unconciously - I pick up the almond, I address the almond in all it's almond-ness, remember I LOVE ALMONDS! and pop it in.

Nor do I eat because I don't feel my worth.  I'm a hella great woman.  I laugh easily, I'm intelligent, I'm kind...I know these traits to be true.  I'm not blowing my own horn here, I'm just saying that I don't bemoan my outcast state.

I eat because it's tasty!! I'm a Taurus, a sensualist by nature.  I wanna see, hear, touch and smell stuff and if I like it, I'll taste it! (For all of you that don't think food makes noise - ladies and gentleman, I give you SIZZLING BACON. I rest my case...). 

My problem is sheer inertia. This body has not moved too much in two years, so really what did I expect? 

But it's that moment, and we've all had it, when we realize that the mirror we're looking into isn't at the carnival.  It's an average mirror and this is what we look like.

Yikes! Eep! Yow! And finally, WTF?!?!?

So I've decided to take control and embark on a sane, no-nonsence, slow and systematic course of action.  Good old fashioned excercise; cardio, weights, and some yoga thrown in but mainly for the cute clothes. I do not relish the prospect but if I have folks cheering (or jeering) me on, I think I might manifest my destiny of babe-dom.

I'd like you here on the road for several reasons, actually - first, just to feel that there are average gals like me struggling.  Second, I'd like to offer support, comfort, laughs, ideas and, in the utopia of blogs-ville, I hope to receive the same in return.  I like the citizens of this planet so that's why I'm sharing.  I don't expect you to return the sentiment, it's just that it would be nice.

And that's it.  Hope to see you around.  The journey starts January 1, 2010, but I'll be testing out some things in the lead up.  It will be daily.  I have no idea if I have the discipline for this, but ya know what?  At the end of the day, the blob needs to be a babe again.  Nuff said.

Welcome.
Lili La Large

2 comments:

  1. I'm with ya sister! I sat down two and a half years ago and my ass has taken the doughy nature of my office chair. Let me know what works

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I know where you're coming from, and in my case, a couple of pregnancies didn't help. I used the online version of Weight Watchers - no meetings with the plus-sized pep squad, please - and managed to get back to something approximating the real me.

    One thing that I regret is that I didn't take a real "before" shot. You might want to take such a photo now. You don't have to post it, at least not until there's an "after" you want to share, but I think you'll appreciate having it as a reference later on.

    Courage, babe. I will certainly be lurking to see how it's going :)

    ReplyDelete